Sunday, January 27, 2008

PRIMARily Getting Sick..

My wife and I watched the results of the South Carolina Democratic Primary come in. We also talked a good bit about the GOP primaries and laughed about how the candidates - most of whom are millionaires - talk about tax cuts and how the wealthiest Americans don't pay their fair share of taxes should be penalized etc... It would be nice if they admitted how much they were worth. But that would be disastrous. Romney is worth more than $250 million dollars!

We laughed at Sen. McCain when he says, "my friends" eight zillion times in his speeches. Reagan said that phrase better because it was him and genuine. I liked Reagan although when he was in office I was Democrat (oops!) He was grandfatherly....(now I hope by writing this it does not come back to haunt me...

Anyway, when McCain says, "my friends" it sounds so fake...It is like someone saying "how are you?" when you know they don't mean it... Sometimes at work people say, "how are you?" and I answer with, "hey, what's up?" They never realize that I never answered their question. Politics is all disingenuous. So at the end of the day, the voter is left with voting for the candidate who is the least unethical.

When my wife and I listen to Sen. Obama we have to make sure that (a) it is well before dinner or (b) well after dinner. It is really getting to a point where we are getting a little sick. We find him very articulate, but that does not make him "the candidate". Sadly, we find that he has morphed into some kind of a preacher-like candidate; it is a cross between MLK or Jesse with a mixture of the rapper, Common.

He may be good at giving speeches when there is some domestic disaster, but when we hear Hillary speak or some of the GOP candidates speak; when we listen to Sen. Edwards speak, (usually after losing), we are hearing substance. I checked out Obama's website and downloaded one of his 52 second clips/talks on healthcare and he said nothing about solutions only the obvious; who has it and who doesn't. This is no different than what we hear when he debates or gives speeches after a primary. Preachers make the flock feel good. And Obama is a master at it. The Democratic establishment is catching on and I think come Super Tuesday the weeding process will be unapologetic to him.

Admittedly, I was captivated by his freshness, the newness of it all. He is a couple of years older than me and I thought that he could bring real change. But as time went on, his ideas were never fully communicated when he spoke. And don't tell me to read them on the website! If they are his ideas, then he should be able to talk about them.

No comments: