Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Don't Piss On My Back..And Tell Me Its Raining!": Clinton Tries To Play The Super Delegates

When I was a young boy, my brothers and I, like most boys, would occasionally find ourselves
in trouble, having to explain ourselves to mom.

If you were clever - and there is a certain blogger who was indeed clever - you would try to get to mom first and argue your case before she meted out punishment. The logic was that you could gain an edge (e.g., less severe punishment) if you could reason with mom. I wrote hundreds of letters in my lifetime, but the proximity to mom during those days required face-to-face appeals. But, ah, if I could and if it were appropriate I would have written mom letters hoping to convince her that a very lenient approach to disciplining would be a testament to her compassion. Eloquent and convincing.

I was never effective, because no matter what happened, I would have to explain myself time and time again before listening to the sentence that mom handed down.

Sen. Hillary Clinton is no good letter writer.

She has sent a letter to all Democratic Super Delegates, outlining her case as to why they should support her. In short, why she is more qualified to be the nominee. Tragically, this is another attempt on her part to spin her position, with the ultimate goal to steal the nomination from Sen. Barack Obama.

There is nothing unique or new that, in my opinion, should convince the Super Delegates. Sen. Clinton argues that 17 million people have voted ("supported") her in "my effort to become the Democratic nominee". This is not true, and she knows it. We have been here before. And yet, Sen. Clinton wants to count things that cannot be counted. RealClearPolitics has all the math you need to see that her math is shady. The nomination, according to the rules, will be determined by whichever candidate has the most delegates (2026). So you can argue about how many people supported you (popular) vote; and you can spin the math, but there is a reality and reason why the DNC has 2025 or 2026 as the finish line.

In the letter, Sen. Clinton writes, "[voters] want a President who shares their core beliefs about our country and its future and "gets" what they go through every day to care for their families, pay the bills and try to put something away for the future."

What? Are you kidding me?

How can someone who pulled down over $100 million in less than 10 years "get" what other people are going through? How can you grasp and fully understand how Americans are literally crushing under the combined weight of high gas prices, low home values and an unbelievably selfish government?

Well, Americans "get" that lying about sniper fire is not the best method to win the nomination. We also "get" that accusing your opponent of plagiarism seems odd, when you plagiarize your husband and the former Presidential candidate, Sen. John Edwards in your speeches...."I can take a hit.." or whatever it was... Americans "get" that referencing the assassination of a Kennedy as a suggestion that your opponent may get killed is insane. Americans also "get that if you talk about the inability of your candidate getting the white vote, you maybe a closet racist. They get stuff like that..

One of the best quotes I ever heard that can be used when someone is trying "play games with you", while being less than honest about a situation..." is "don't piss on my back and tell me its raining..." Someone who took home $100 million dollars cannot "get" what everyone else is going through. Okay?

I wanted to go to bed, but wanted to see what else was in this "love letter" to the Super Delegates. I found particularly interesting that Sen. Clinton wrote about how "recent polls and trends" show that she is the better candidate to beat Sen. McCain. "Recent polls and election results show a clear trend", she said. In her letter to the Super Delegates, I believe she mentions one poll. Awful. Just awful.

She later talks about her analysis with..."I've enclosed a detailed analysis of recent electoral and polling information, and I hope you will take some time to review it carefully." So, let me get this straight. She is writing to the Super Delegates, many of whom are well conversant with politics, telling them that they should review her analysis of polling data? You gotta be kiddin' me!

It's late now..and I can only think of one thing; how much Tylenol is in the medicine cabinet.

Maybe someone on her campaign staff with bring in a doctor or psychiatrist..and just have them travel with the campaign in case things get too out of hand for Mrs. Clinton.

No comments: