Sunday, February 17, 2008

Health Care & The Obama Tsunami

I can't wait for baseball season to start.

It will give me something even more exciting to watch. Well, what could be more exciting than watching presidential hopefuls say the same pathetic lines, "my friends", "yes we can!" and now I recently heard Sen. Clinton yell, "yes we will!". It seems like an awfully desperate tactic; to borrow part of a battle cry from your opponent.

In another post, I commented on how disingenuous Sen. McCain sounds when he says, "my friends" about 3 dozen times in his speeches. Not only does it sound fake, but often, he sounds as if he wish he had something better to say. It is okay to open a sentence with, "my friends..." once or twice in a speech. But for me, it just sounds so nauseating at times, especially when the guy who is saying it sounds like a robot. Turn the channel?

I can't.

This election has not given us the best candidates. And now that McCain will be the GOP nominee, I am still wondering if I like one of the Dems. The other night, Sean Hannity of Hannity & Colmes argued that, in the end, Sen. Obama does not have the experience to be president, but wasn't very clear on exactly what kind of experience someone would need. None of the other debaters challenged him on the experience our current President had before he took over the White House.

But the one thing that is vexing me about the Democratic candidates is this thing on universal health care.

Both Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton claim that they will provide "universal health care", but a review of their plans and some analysis by Factcheck.org shows that neither one of their plans will cover everyone. Clinton's idea of garnishing wages of those who do not participant does not coincide with what her website says about you "being in the driver seat.." Moreover, how do you garnish wages of someone who is not working? It seems that this will be a large part of the population that will benefit from the so called "universal health care" which really isn't universal, because everyone does not get covered.

If I vote for a Democrat, I am particularly concerned about universal health care, because it is unclear as to how things will be for me since I have an employer sponsored plan which also covers my wife. Will I have to wait 3 weeks just to get an appointment to see my doctor?

On a separate note, recently an adviser to Clinton, Harold Ickels said that she will have the nomination wrapped up by June. The tragedy of this assertion is that it has denial written all over it. The reality is that Sen. Clinton's campaign is on life support. She has tried everything possible to stop Sen. Obama's momentum, from making loans to her campaign; shifting staff around, using her daughter, Chelsea and anything else necessary to gain significant momentum.

The margins that Sen. Obama has been winning by are daunting for her.

When Obama takes Wisconsin and Ohio, the effects of his momentum could be like a tsunami.

The party establishment will have no choice but to go to Sen. Clinton and politely encourage her to step aside, lest she drowns in a "sea of change" unknown to the political spectrum.

No comments: